I Manage 3 offices that are in different states. All need access to the same servers. I found this inexpensive solution: Neorouter (http://neorouter.com/ technology. Once you create a server then you can connect to that server from anywhere in the world and you will be in your own virtual network.
I have used this solution for over 3 years. I can add computer to the domain remotely and users can remotely access the shared files and network drives. the application create a virtual network that can be access from any where given that the user has the credentials.
Here are some of the things you can do (taken from the website)
- Work remotely and access office applications, files, emails and printers
- Manage and maintain unattended servers
- Provide remote supports to your customers
- Backup important documents and files offsite
- Build cost-effective VPN on-demand
Check here to compare with other solutions: http://neorouter.com/compare
If you need VPN solution (peer to site or site to site), remote access and you are short of money give this solution a try.
Any question I will be glad to answer.